Thursday, July 9, 2009

Today I will accept change.

I recently had a lovely summer dinner with three girlfriends. One was pregnant and due that very day. Another was pregnant and due in three weeks. Another has two children under 5. And then there was me.

Every time we get together it's an education for me. But an education that you don't think you'll need for a very long time, if ever. Like when you took Visual Arts or History in high school. Or gym, in my case.

A lot of things I'm learning gross or freak me out. Other things are just plain interesting - who knew there are certain kinds of cheese you can't eat?. I'm very happy for all of them and their impending arrivals, but I'm also very happy to just be watching from the distance.

Babies are all around me. One of my best friends just announced her pregnancy - my reaction was stunned panic at best, but I'm warming to idea of watching them as fantastic parents. Another friend's wife is due in two weeks - I'm sure he'll be great as he has already proven himself by caring wonderfully for a wild squirrel.

Life is moving pretty quick. Friends are moving in with their partners, others are getting married, people are becoming responsible for another human being. I don't deal well with change. I never have - that hasn't changed. I usually need a few weeks to digest big news and get used to it. I know, it's not healthy, but I'm trying my best.

So, if anyone out there has a big announcement, please give me a couple days.

No comments:

Post a Comment