Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Randomness

Every once in a while a single girl happens upon a date that challenges everything she thought she knew about her dating and screening process. Somehow I managed to be intrigued by someone enough to agree to a second date who during the course of our first date:

- Began by spitting out his gum at the table
- Enlightened me about the causes and detrimental effects of gout…for over 10 minutes
- Accused me of not knowing who The Rolling Stones were. They’re like, what, some British band, or something?

Perhaps he was redeemed by complimenting my shoes and being a gentleman by shielding me from the rain on the way to my car. It’s very simple, guys. Also, there was that very amusing bit where I huffily referred to a Britney Spears song as a ‘viable entertainment source’. Yeah, that was my low. Turned out to be hilarious.
Dating is a mystery.
--------------------------------------------
Have you heard that Anne Hathaway and James Franco will be hosting the Oscars this year? Dru, I’m mainly talking to you. Katy and I have agreed that this is a poor choice as neither one of them is particularly enjoyable as their ‘real’ selves. Anne is pretty grating.


I’m holding out for the year when Tina Fey and/or Steve Carrell host. Or Joan Cusack and/or Hugh Grant – my favourite comedic actors. Yes, Hugh Grant is funny! Shut it.
--------------------------------------------
I am not a squeamish girl. Well, not really. I can take care of business and….I’m sitting here trying to think of something disgusting that I am able to do without gagging. Hmm. Well, whatever, I’m not that bad.


However, there is something about seeing a mouse in a trap that makes me shriek every single time. This one had his eyes still open. Wraulagh. That is how I think the shudder/ugh noise I just made is spelled.
-------------------------------------------
Something strange is happening. Over the last 2 months I have heard Lou Bega’s Mambo No. 5 on the radio quite a bit. At least 6 or 7 times. For a one hit wonder that everyone but me hated, that is a lot. Is it now campy and making a comeback?

I always get so excited the one time a year when a Spice Girls song comes on the radio – is it possible that Lou Bega’s success is surpassing the Spice Girls? It could be that I listen to super lame radio stations based out of places like Kitchener and Guelph where this music is still hip. I fear for the day when I am listening to the radio and have no idea the songs that are being played. It’s already happening a bit – who is this Justin Beiber kid?
-------------------------------------------
In case you ever wonder what a vanilla pudding cup looks like after the seal is broken. And if you are ever stupid enough to not notice and buy it anyway.
Wonder no more. There’s nothing that makes you feel more like a successful grown up than saying to a 16 year old cashier, “I would like to exchange my pudding cup please.”
-------------------------------------------
This is one of my favourite sights – a package left at my door! Hurrah! Also good is the September issue of any fashion magazine in the mailbox or that one time last month when someone mysteriously left me a crab cake on the doorstep.

Since I’m hoping to do most of my shopping online this year, this should be a common sight. Better than that weird gas nozzle I found in the mailbox this spring.

1 comment:

  1. I just don't get why they chose those two. I think Franco is trying to take over the world....General Hospital, a new novel and now this. Didn't Anne Hathaway have a bit part in last years opening? I'm trying to make sense of all of this but to no avail. It's O.K. though, because we will have forgotten all of the show and the results about 15 minutes after it airs.
    Until then!

    ReplyDelete