Tuesday, June 2, 2009

These women??

I've been watching 30Rock recently and although it is completely clever, hilarious and should not be missed, it's made me think of something. Liz Lemon is the main character, the comedic heroine. Yes, she's funny, successful, smart as a whip and endearing, but besides that, she's a bit of a mess. She's sloppy, dresses like a style-challenged teenage boy, is frequently late, always has lettuce in her hair, is clueless about men - she's all over the place.

Then I thought about Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and The City. Sure, she's stylish, but she's a wreck too. Always late, disorganized, messy (I guess), at times dysfunctional and completely self absorbed - her life is often in disarray.

And what about Bridget Jones? Super messy, slobby, terrible fashion sense, constantly late, always getting into jams, no skills with men, boozehound - reading her diary is like reading something a hangover would write.

Sure, these women and their foibles make them highly entertaining and amusing. But why are they great to watch - because we're secretly happy we've got it more together than them? Would it be so wrong to have female television lead characters that are organized, clean, polished and put together? Women who do the following things:

- write thank you cards
- bring an umbrella if it looks like rain
- make their bed every morning
- get up on time and eat breakfast

Although it may seem like it, I'm not suggesting that I do all these things or that I'm the picture of put togetherness. But why do women have to be all over the place to be funny?

All that aside, I think the name Lemon is what I will call my future dog. Unless it seems too much like he's defective. Hmm.

3 comments:

  1. I have a few comments today:

    1. Sure Liz Lemon is a bit of a mess personally but at least professionally she's hugely successful. The only female character I can think of that was both personally and professionally successful AND funny is Elaine from Seinfeld ... not sure if she really counts though since the show wasn't called "Benes"

    2. "make there bed every morning" Melissa please, I'm disappointed in you.

    3. I named a cat Zero once even though I was worried it would give her an inferiority complex. She never got over the cold she'd caught at the SPCA and she ended up having to be put down ... I still feel guilty about it :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, it seems as though the previous commentator beat me to your grammatical foible.

    Also, Portia del Rossi (sp?) plays a successful, put-together, and funny character on Better Off Ted. She may not be the official lead (see "Ted"), but nevertheless...

    ReplyDelete
  3. *gasp* Yes, I am embarrassed about the foible. That's what happens when you lazily post. Both of you made good points, except I've never heard of Better Off Ted. Will look into it.

    Katy - that poor cat!

    ReplyDelete