Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Today's posts brought to you by....

Alexander MacKenzie

Yes, he is a real person. In fact, he was Canada's second Prime Minister. I did not make him up and yes, he is different from William Lyon MacKenzie King.

I spent two summers working 12 hour shifts at Stelco and it taught me many things. I learned that when steel is red, it will burn any exposed skin. I learned that men are animals, especially when they've been caged up for 20 years among only men. I learned that a measuring tape can provide minutes of fun. But most importantly, I learned the names and order of all our prime ministers.

Go ahead, Kevin, doubt me again...I'll get that veto back if it's the last thing I do.

1 comment:

  1. I thought your readers might like to hear some of the back story: I was the one arguing 1)he wasn't William Lyon MacKenzie King, and 2)he wasn't William Lyon MacKenzie.

    I was telling you MacKenzie King was the PM during WWII (he was: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Lyon_Mackenzie_King), and William Lyon MacKenzie was the guy who led the Rebellion of 1837-1838 (he was:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Lyon_Mackenzie). Thus it was highly unlikely that either of these guys was the 2nd PM of Canada around 1870 or so.

    I never denied it was possible there was a third MacKenzie in Canadian politics, I only denied it was William Lyon MacKenzie King or William Lyon MacKenzie. I'll admit I didn't think it was likely, but you have to give me credit for recognizing I wasn't offering anything better so we went with your answer. That's why I didn't veto it.

    You'll probably get the veto back because unlike some people I'M not afraid to use it.

    Also I'm highly impressed with the picture in addition to the gloating. Turning the knife once you've stuck it in the back is exactly the sort of thing I'd do in your shoes.

    ReplyDelete