Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Randomness

Remember hitchhikers? You never see them anymore. I saw one on the entrance to the highway in Grimsby recently. A real Ramblin' Joe. Old man, seemingly stuck in the 60s with Jack Kerouac, beard, plaid. Are there still people that get around this way in North America?

For a certain type of person, I can see the romanticism in it. Meeting interesting people along the way, going wherever the wind or someone's Ford Windstar will take you.
---------------------------------------------
I am compiling a list of my Top Ten Favourite Songs of All Time. Basically a list of songs that I enjoy every single time I hear them, regardless of mood. It's a long process, one I expect to complete by age 63. I'm being very selective - even Spice Girls haven't made the cut yet. So far, this is what I've got:

- If You Had My Love - Jennifer Lopez (before she was J-Lo)
This song has nice, funny memories attached to it and I just really like it. No shame here.

- Brick - Ben Folds Five

- Nelly - Ride Wit Me
Even though he forgot the 'h', this song always makes me happy. Especially when played in the car with the windows down on a sunny day.
--------------------------------------------
Is it bad that when I have letters to mail, I usually avoid using mailboxes in sketchy or rough areas of town for two reasons:

1. I feel like the postal workers view these areas as lower status and do not prioritize them highly. Yes, it's awful, but I feel like some probably think the poor don't send as much mail and don't collect as frequently.

2. In sketchy areas of town, I have an unsubstantiated feeling that hoodlums pour sodas and snowballs into mailboxes for fun.

I know, it's ridiculous, but these two stupid things affect my mailbox choices. Shameful Yuppiness.

But I do wonder the statistics for mail collection across a city. Perhaps I will use my library skills to pull up this information. Or ask a real practicing librarian. Or forget about this entirely. Hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment