Sunday, August 9, 2009

Furnishing My Life

There are many things I find to be very 'adult'.
- getting married
- having children
- making a meal that includes vegetables
- buying a house
- jury duty
- buying furniture

While I haven't done several of these things, I am considering purchasing some furniture. I despise the idea of walking into a home and feeling like I've just opened a catalogue. I wish to never set foot in The Brick or Leon's and walk out with page 123.

I want my future digs to have personality, be eclectic and reflect my many layers - yes, I have many. So, in that vein, I've started compiling pieces that I like now so I'm ready to go. In the meantime, I have nowhere to store this furniture so I plan on....actually, I don't know what to do about that.

I've recently figured out how consignment shops work (another thing I consider 'adult') or at least this very cool one near my place and I have my eye on a few pieces. There was an article in yesterday's Globe about people furnishing their homes from finds on Craigslist.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/style/craigslist-chic/article1245054/

I've been doing the consignment shop and antique shop circuit, but I've been inspired to hit up the net next.

Here is what I've found so far on my travels through Hamilton's newest "Antique Alley" - Ottawa Street.

Right now, it's a steal, but if I can wait it out until August 20, it will be $30 cheaper. I enjoy antiques, but at the same time, I have no qualms about painting this a fresh white.


This piece is my favourite and it's more expensive, but I love everything about it. I'm not a fan of fussy antiques with curlicues and spindle legs. This is more solid and it's from the 1940s.

I like this table without the chairs and it's a good size for the small place I will have.

This chair is really comfortable and I like the idea of getting cool accent pieces - I wouldn't even recover this. Oh, right, I've convinced myself while antiquing lately that I am 100% capable of reupholstering, changing dresser legs, stripping and staining and building furniture.

It's like this time in high school when I thought I needed a stool for my bedroom. And I thought I would and could build it. So, I drew up plans (on my Geography binder) and asked my Dad to get me all the supplies I would need. I was pumped!

Last month, I finally moved that pile of wood out of the attic into the garage where my Dad will surely find it and flip out. You know, I've been thinking, I don't think I actually need a stool anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment