Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Last Hurrah Garage Sale!

Last Saturday was one of my favourite days of the year. Every year about this time it is the United Way garage sale at Mohawk College - it is the BEST. No, seriously, the BEST. The posse and I got up early and all scored amazing things. Dru and I went in together to purchase the most amazing dollhouse. I can't really recall why we decided to share it, but we're working out a custody arrangement. I can visit on weekends and I get every other holiday. My only concern is that her child will think it's a toy and ruin it. Chet, it is NOT a toy!


Once you see this dollhouse in person you will know why it's so special. It's from the 1960s and came with a whole box full of miniature, impeccable furniture. So detailed and beautiful. The house has French doors, a working light, hardwood floors, balcony - this is almost more than my real house has!


The furniture is to die for - cast iron patio set, four poster bed, armoire with hangers, desk with newspapers, bowls of fruit, full kitchen. It's amazing. I didn't know I was still such a dollhouse person, but I just had to have it. We may have pushed some children aside in our pursuit.


I haven't been so excited since my 7th birthday when my dad presented me with my very own massive dollhouse (albeit not finished).

We used to go to this specialty shop to get the amazing furniture. It's currently finished and in my parents' attic, but I think I'd like to get it out and on display.


I didn't think I was such a girly girl, but I'm pretty sure I was squealing while I pawed through the box of furniture. I can't wait to play with it. Dru, can I come over and play?


These pictures don't do it justice. I really need to get a new camera.






3 comments:

  1. The dollhouse looks Fantastic! I too have one at my parent's place, finished and full of furniture, I used to love going to buy the little pieces and adding to it.

    Did you go to the dollhouse place that used to be on Main St. near the Queenston Traffic circle? That was my favourite when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the exact place I used to go to! It was always a treat. Such a shame that little girls don't have anywhere to go for that stuff these days. Plus, where will I go for my new dollhouse!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you looked exactly the same at the garage sale when you saw the house for the first time. I can hear the squeals now....

    ReplyDelete