Tuesday, January 11, 2011

They're Getting Restless...

....well, just one or two, in particular.

It is time. It is time to finally post a blog entry. The past 3 ‘unplugged’ weeks have been blissful, but it’s time to rejoin the world. The online world of my own making, that is. No work for 2 straight weeks was amazing and I haven’t been that lazy since university or that weekend there was a Janice Dickinson Modelling Agency marathon on TV. But I have returned to work and as a result, I have an internet connection again.

I had a wonderful Christmas holiday. Some highlights:

- a couple days of 3 party pile-ups – nothing makes me feel more like a Hamilton socialite than flitting from fete to fete. One Saturday night I decided to photograph the transition throughout the evening.

Here I am on the way to Party #1 - 7:30pm:

Here I am on the way home after Party #3 - 3:30am:
Hmmm, I look pretty much the same – that make-up must be industrial strength.

- Sleepy Cheese Night 2010 – this is what I have dubbed my friend Ashley’s birthday because each year, despite all efforts to the contrary, I end up eating more cheese than is probably safe for a girl my size and cuddling up in a Snuggie – the most despicable, yet irresistible invention. This year, a cardboard cutout of Legolas joined us again and there was some sort of magic wand involved. Honestly, this party reads like a 9 year old boy’s bar mitzvah (with alcohol) and if I didn’t think Ashley is as sweet as peach pie, well….




- Two babies were born! Two of my favourite friends continued the legacy of their awesomeness and everyone is happy and healthy. The joy I felt for them is inexplicable, especially because as a sector of the population, I’m not really crazy about kids. But these aren’t just any kids, they’re YOUR kids and that’s why I love them. Gosh, I hope that doesn’t read as rude – not at all intended.

- 12 Pubs of Christmas with 8 financial sector drones. Wow – somehow it was actually pretty fun – I made it to all 12, bolstered by nachos and mozzarella sticks.

- An eye doctor appointment – first one in 3 years – revealed that I now have better than 20/20 vision. It’s true – I am one step closer to being a superhuman specimen. And I’m watching you.

- Baking, baking, baking
- The best mashed potatoes I’ve had in a long time at my aunt’s house on Christmas Day

- Annual installment of family karaoke – it gets more hilarious each year. My mom has mastered “Hot Stuff” by Donna Summer and it usually also includes a kicky dance number. Karaoke is one of those things I automatically balk at, but always succumb to an amazing time (much like the blasted Snuggie).

My hits this year: “I Think We’re Alone Now” – Tiffany, “Bust A Move” – Young MC (this was a bad idea – we can’t ‘sing’ that fast), “Jack & Diane” – John Mellencamp and “Do You Want To Dance” – Whitney Houston. I should warn you all that it is a good idea to be familiar with the songs you’re going to sing with your family members. It’s pretty awkward when you get to the verses of “I’m So Excited” by the Pointer Sisters and there you are singing about female orgasms with your 16 year old cousin. Word to the wise.

- Spending time with new and old people in my life – I’m a lucky girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment