Friday, January 15, 2010

New Year's Eve...15 days later

I thought I would finally post about New Year's Eve. Everyone always hates on this night, but I really like it. I like how everyone in the world is doing the same thing at the same time (yeah, yeah, I know about time zones, shut up). Or if they're not counting down, they are at least aware that it is NYE. There is a buzz in the air.

Many of my past NYEs have been house parties, dinners, combinations of both and last year, New York City. I like whatever I end up doing to be special. It can't just turn out like any other night. Even if the difference is something small like champagne, it's has to be distinctive.

This year the Fab Four took to the clubs. I've never done the Toronto club thing for NYE so I was really looking forward to it. In hindsight, there was a reason why chosen club was so cheap to get in: rife with 19 year olds and unyielding bouncers. Just as I was organizing the kids to rush the doors, I was allowed in to get our tickets, the clock quickly ticking towards mindnight. Once I got our tickets, it was like trying to get a spot on one of the Titanic lifeboats. And the captain didn't take too kindly to my offer of anqitue pocket watch.

We did get in, ended up doing the countdown twice due to faulty clocks, stealthily ate and drank from drunk kids' VIP booths, watched said kids vomit on trays of cheese, narrowly missed numerous fights and, I think, danced a bit. I always have fun with my friends and I managed to get sufficiently tipsy, so I had a wonderful time.
The age old question: Labatt 50 given to me as a joke or $60 champagne that tastes just like the $13 bottle. The brand new answer: both.

No comments:

Post a Comment