Monday, February 4, 2013

So Soonday?

Another weekly recap...

For our Oscar Movie Monday viewing of Lincoln, I decided to make the ultimate American dessert - the apple pie.  It was added to the array of chicken fricasée with biscuits, President sparkling wine and these boozey bourbon pecan bites.  All delicious, which was lucky, because the movie was anything but.  Snoozefest 2013.


This week, we're watching The Master which is loosely (?) based on Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard.  I've been trying to come up with cult-ish and crazy foods and again am drawing blanks.  What would Tom Cruise or John Travolta bring?

-----------------------------------------------

I have been driving around town laughing uncontrollably the last few weeks every time I see this billboard.  I think it is one of the funniest images I've ever seen.  Even right now, I'm cracking up.  That wig is hysterical.


Plus it appeals to the side of me that always finds it funny when babies fall down or freak out on America's Funniest Home Videos.

-----------------------------------------------

I often find it amusing or interesting or ... something, when places, people or experiences come flooding back from the slightest of influences.  Like a song being played that brings back all these memories from a time in my life so far from what my life is now.  Often these memories are associated with past relationships and I find it both comforting and strange that both parties can recall the exact same thing when a song is played and it's almost an involuntary memory recall.  It's just a small way to remember things long dismissed, but really nice to have the reminder.

-----------------------------------------------

As dodgeball gave us a bye this week, I was able to attend the live Hamilton taping of Q with Jian Ghomeshi at Mohawk College with some friends.  I wasn't really sure what I was in for, but it was a great evening filled with Hamilton focused guests, a speaker panel, performances by the Arkells and Rita Chiarelli and great hosting and Q&A with Jian Ghomeshi. 

I've heard of the Arkells for a while now, but never really sought them out to get to know their music - I loved them!  They have a great stage presence and there songs were kicky.  I like the word 'kicky'.  I'm going to go buy their CD.  I still like to buy CDs and I'm going to buy it from Dr. Disc, another Hamilton institution I've never actually been to yet.


I was also introduced to Rita Chiarelli, a Hamilton native, who has an incredible blues voice and a storied career.  Often times I find blues a bit slow and I have to be in a certain mood for it (duh) but she was captivating and I couldn't help but be wrapped up in her music.  Check her out here.

Jian's show draws huge names and really fascinating topics - Thursday night alone covered zombie actors, racist dogs, revitalizing extinct mammals like the woolly mammoth and the issues of the day including Idle No More and David Suzuki.  I've been inspired to listen to his show more often.

 -----------------------------------------------

I'm pretty sure there is someone living in my garage.  These footsteps are not mine.


  -----------------------------------------------

There was a family outing this week to see South Pacific at Redeemer University.  For a Christian school based production, I was mildly shocked with the amount of nudity and underage prostitution that danced its way across the stage.  But it was entertaining - amateur theatre actors are always the most keen.


  -----------------------------------------------
Are these for real?


-----------------------------------------------

Doing quite well with my 2013 goal to become more involved in the Hamilton community and the young professional scene in the city, I was awoken to my Dad knocking on my door like a crazy person, brandishing a camera, pretending to be the paparazzi:  my picture was in the paper.  The Hamilton Community Awards I had attended last week feature a shot of me and my glass of wine. Look Ma!  I'm "Local People".


 -----------------------------------------------

Superbowl lowdown:  Beyoncé is my hero.  My friend Dru and I have discussed the feasibility and likelihood of us taking on the task of learning and performing that entire routine.  I'm betting against us...for so many reasons, chief among them, we don't look like that, we can't dance like that and we can't do this:


4 comments:

  1. If you're taking menu suggestions:

    Kool-Aid is a given for watching a film about a cult (and yes, I know that technically it wasn't Kool-Aid at Jonestown, but whatever)

    It's too bad you already made Apple Pie, because you could have had a Pie-entology party...bonus points for baking 3.14159 pies. Of course, adding a side of white earbuds would add to the cult-ish feel, but you already did apple.

    If you want to feel as though you're in the cult, then it's hard to top gruel...followed by a quick chant of Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na Leader!

    Or you could always go with tapas or Mexican to celebrate El Ron Hubbard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe Shepherd's Pie?

    Wait, I've got it. Fishes and loaves! It's got to be fishes and loaves, right? And I say you serve water to people...but be ready to replace the glasses of water with identical glasses filled with wine when the guests aren't looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, Anonymous...show your face and take credit for these genius ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I refuse to show my face until you create a new post on your blog!

    ReplyDelete