Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Dog Days of Summer

I want a dog.

At the beginning of 2013, I vowed to either move permanently to New York City or get a dog.  One is significantly more difficult than the other and since it's already July, I'm thinking that getting a dog is more likely to happen.

I have had a dog all through my childhood.  First, there was Jasper - a mix of some sort who we eventually gave away to friends who had a farm - no really!  That's not code for "put him down". 


Then there was an annoyingly loud beagle, Sam (who we kept for exactly three days) and finally the beloved Tessa - a purebred Australian Shepherd.






Tessa was awesome in every way.  She died in 2008 and I miss having a dog around.  I think I would get another Australian Shepherd - they're such a great breed.  The one thing I'm afraid of is getting a dog with a less-than-ideal temperament.  It's the same fear I would have about a child.  Sure, you can train them really well, but it's a bit of a crap shoot when it comes to their personality.

All signs point to dog ownership.  I have a fenced in yard.  I work from home so would have ample opportunity to train it properly.  My doorbell is broken so it would be nice to have a barking visitor announcement.

However, I am out a lot.  This is slightly worrisome as I don't want anything to cramp my social style.  But, maybe it's time for me to take responsibility for more than myself.  Hmmm.  I ought to give this more thought.

Another thing I need to think about is a suitable name.  A dog's name is so important.  For a while I liked the name Lemon, but then worried that people might think my dog is gimpy or something.  I also find human names really amusing - like Kevin or Mark.  Just imagine yelling, "Here, Mark, come on boy!"  Funny. 

However, the real question is - does a single girl getting a dog look the same as a single girl getting a cat?  Must avoid that at all costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment