Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The pressure of an email subject

I recently tried to email a guy I went to high school with. He was much more popular than I, despite being a year younger than me. Sad. He now lives in NYC and I was emailing him to suss out the situation there as moving to Manhattan is always in the back of my mind. I thought it was a harmless enough endeavor and that he might have some insight into jobs, apartments, pretzels, etc.

So, I constructed a carefully written email that didn't seem too lame and that didn't pretend that we were once friends (although I had once driven him home - a strange aberration in a non-existent relationship). Then I came to the subject line of the email.

I needed to write something that jogged his memory, indicated that he might actually 'know' me and tell him why I was writing. Basically, I needed something that would make him open the email. After clearly not enough time thinking about it, I came up with this:

Delta Secondary alum - questions about NYC

After I clicked 'Send' I realized this was almost the worst possible subject I could have chosen, short of "Enhance Your Manhood - Naturally" - which actually might have had a better chance of being read. Someone told me it sounds exactly like spam.

Needless to say, it has been a week and he has not written back.

No comments:

Post a Comment