Thursday, February 26, 2009

Hamilton's Mardi Gras

A couple times each year Hamilton slides into a period of Joaquin Phoenix lunacy when "Roll Up The Rim" saunters into our claim to fame: Tim Horton's. The same thing happens when the No Frills Dollar Days occur. (Pop your blue collar, Hammertown!). Now, occasionally, during some sort of twilight zone of mountain bikes and 25 cent pudding cups, these two momentous events will coincide, sending Hamiltonians into a tailspin of frugality and soggy coffee cup rims.

Such is the case right now in our fair city.

Cars were lined up down the street to get into a No Frills this past weekend and although every Tim Horton's always has a line, people who don't normally drink coffee are ordering up. They're all convinced they will win the Toyota, the wads of cash or a sour cream glazed doughnut.

I'm not knocking bargains and the pursuit of them, believe me. My aunt once won a barbecue during Roll Up The Rim, which she wonderfully gave to us. And I enjoy any glazed confection as much as the next future diabetic, but it's gotten out of control.

All I wanted was to buy a head of Boston Bibb lettuce, at full price, and I ended up getting swept up in the bomb shelter stock-up mentality. I've never even eaten a Hot Pocket before, but I couldn't resist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw7xPaL56Ow

I left the store having spent $24.67 on an assortment of brightly coloured boxed items. I was at their mercy and I hate myself for it.

Oh, and I forgot the Bibb lettuce.

No comments:

Post a Comment