Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Dark Side of Tanning


By now, we've all heard about and been disgusted by "Tan Mom" and today I read an article in the Globe and Mail about Quebec putting forth legislation that would make it illegal for minors (under 18) to enter tanning salons.

This seems like a great idea and really, one that should have been passed ages ago.  Apparently, tanning exposure under the age of 35 increases the danger of melanoma by 75%.  This is a no-brainer. 

I've had one bout of tanning a long time ago when I was much more shallow than I am now, if you can believe it.  I wanted to get rid of tan lines for a friend's wedding.  After several sessions it still didn't work and the whole coffin, neon light thing kind of freaked me out.

There's something so twisted about minors in particular using tanning salons.  I feel the same way about letting pre-teens dye their hair.  Let's try to delay the fake as long as possible, huh people?

No comments:

Post a Comment